One Month with Education Outreach
Vicky Senni, our current Education and Outreach maven describes one month's activities this spring:
In the past month, our Education and Outreach Department has been rather busy with 26 different classes and events!
• We held a "fun with food" exploration of textures and doughs for young ones, and an animal tea party where lots of creatures and friends came for tea, snacks, and stories.
• The three kindergarten classrooms at Academy School have been learning about eating a rainbow, healthy bones, and digestion. One lesson learned: kale chips are delicious and rich in calcium!
• Three out of our fifteen field trips, Junction: Art and Food, in partnership with the BMAC have been held this past month with classrooms from Newbrook, Putney Central, and Oak Grove.
• Kids from Morningside Shelter have come together weekly to cook at the Co-op, and they organized and successfully cooked a big dinner at the BFC for their families!
• A group of friends from Green Street walked down after school to learn how to make fried pickles.
• We hosted Earth Day crafts, and had folks help out around the Whetstone Brook for Green Up Day.
• Students at BUHS learned all about where chocolate comes from during a Co-op workshop on Diversity Day.
• Green Street first graders learned about eating the rainbow, and second graders walked down to the BFC to make their own pizza and chocolates.
• Kids and moms (and one dad) joined us in the Cooking Classroom to celebrate Mother's Day with a lovely breakfast.
• Anna Edson and Vicky Senni represented the BFC at the VT Foodbank's annual Hunger Conference in Killington.
• Every Friday, the Co-op sponsors Story & Snack at KidsPLAYce.
...and that's just one month!