BFC Recipes: Salmon with Black Beans, Southwestern Style
(Adapted from a recipe from World's Healthiest Foods)
• 1½ Lb salmon cut into 4 pieces,
skin and any bones removed
• 1 Small sized onion, minced
• 3-4 Cloves garlic, minced
• ½ Cup chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 Cups or 15 oz can black beans
(BPA free), drained
• 1 Tbs red chili powder or more
depending on your taste
• About 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
• 1 Medium avocado, cubed
• 2 Tbs fresh chopped cilantro, optional
• 1 Tbs fresh chopped mint
• 1 Tbs fresh chopped basil or
1 Tsp dried basil
• 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
• 2 Tbs olive oil
• 1 Tbs chopped pumpkin seeds
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Season salmon with a little salt and pepper. Set aside while you chop and
2. Mince onions and press garlic and set aside.
3. Heat 2 Tbs broth in a medium size stainless steel skillet. When broth
begins to steam add onion and garlic and saute on medium heat for about
5 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add 1/2 cup broth, drained beans, and red chili powder.
Cook for another 10 minutes.
5. While beans are cooking, preheat broiler. Place a stainless steel or cast iron
skillet large enough for salmon under the heat to get hot.
This takes about 10 minutes.
6. In a bowl mix together cilantro if desired, mint, basil, lemon juice, olive oil,
pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper.
7. Place salmon in the hot pan and return to broiler about 5 inches from the
heat source for best results. Broil salmon for about 7 minutes for medium
doneness. Serve salmon, beans, chopped lettuce and avocado together on
a plate. Top salmon and lettuce with cilantro basil mint pumpkin seed
8. If desired, salsa can also be served on the side to add more color.
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes, SERVES 4