Recipe: Kamut Salad with Carrots
Explore Kamut by making this tasty salad!!
(Recipe adapted from a recipe from Epicurious website which was taken from a book by Maria Speck, Ancient Grains for Modern Meals)
- 1/2 cup Kamut berries, soaked overnight and drained
- 2-3 cups carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 small red onion or 3-4 scallions, minced
- 3 tbsp. orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped, or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- Parsley for garnish
- Prepare the Kamut berries ahead of time after being soaked overnight, boiling until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer to a serving bowl to cool.
- Once the Kamut has cooled, add grated carrots, minced onions, and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon juices, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt until smooth. Gradually whisk in the olive oil in a thin stream.
- To finish, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Salt to taste. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Toss again before serving; sprinkle with walnuts or slivered almonds, and garnish with the pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries and parsley.
YIELD: 4-6 SERVINGS